Saturday, February 28, 2009

Second Composition Excitement

Congratulations to everyone on a fantastic recital last night!! The recital was such a nice way to end off the week - and if your week was as stressful as mine was, you probably felt the same way! It was great to sit back and really listen to all the compositions. I wanted to play the piano part for mine, but I also wanted to have someone else play it so I could listen to it from a different perspective. I'm glad to I chose the second option! It feels very rewarding to have the performance over with, final bound copy of the score in hand, ready to submit on Monday.

I must admit though, after such a good night, I felt inspired to do more work on our final assignment. As much as I would love to write for choir, I understand that it doesn't present a balance issue...but, I am choosing to write for SATB (2 singers per part), with a brass quintet. The reason for 2 singers on each part is because the brass instruments are loud anyway, and I think with only 4 voices, it may be very challening. With 8, I think there will still be balance issues to work out and think carefully about, but not as easy as a full choir with brass quintet. I am writing a "Crucifixus", and I'm really looking forward to digging into it! Just to briefly cover the text, it reads:

Crucifixus etiam pro nobis sub Pontio Pilato: passus et sepultus est.
[He was] crucified also for us, under Pontius Pilate:[he] suffered and was buried.

I am definitely playing with semitones here for sure!! I think the brass quintet will capture the idea of crucifixion and suffering. This is exciting, and I feel really motivated to get to work on this!!

All for now - see you on Monday!
-Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment