Sunday, February 8, 2009

I Must be Crazy....!!!

I don't think I've experienced something like this before...

I don't know if it's simply because I just don't like my piece anymore...if it's because I've gone too much into the depths of atonality and I'm afraid of it, or if I'm just really in a rut with my piece.

BUT. Guess what Jenn did this weekend??
Jenn started a new piece....altogether. Brand new. EEEEEP. I was concerned about doing this first, but I needed something to present tomorrow, and "Shipwreck" wasn't going to get me anywhere. So, I now introduce to you all, "Of Pearls and Stars." Am I completely out of my mind???

I went back to my first blog post, and read Dr. Ross' comment about mine, which read "However, I now think that it may not sound as atonal as it could."I think my understanding of atonality has changed - it doesn't have to sound chaotic and "unattractive." I did some re-thinking, and in this new piece, there are definitely recognizable chords (major or minor) but their functions are not the same as in a tonal piece of music, or at least, I tried not to write functional harmonies. For instance, a brief look at a section of the piece: "F# walking down to C minor, to Eb minor, C7, A major...."

My new instrumentation is scored for soprano, tenor, cello, violin, and piano. I am taking the text from a poem written by Heinrich Heine, "Of Pearls and Stars." I am already having more luck with this composition than I was with the other - in 2 days, I wrote as much as I did in 1.5 weeks with "Shipwreck." I'll leave you to read the text, and I'll see you all tomorrow!

-----------------------------------------------------------

The pearly treasures of the sea,
The lights that spatter heaven above,
More precious than these wonders are
My heart-of-hearts filled with your love.

The ocean's power, the heavenly sights
Cannot outweigh a love filled heart.
And sparkling stars or glowing pearls
Pale as love flashes, beams and darts.

So, little, youthful maiden come
Into my ample, feverish heart
For heaven and earth and sea and sky
Do melt as love has melt my heart.



1 comment:

  1. Aw.
    It's too bad you felt like you couldn't continue with your other piece. I thought it was really cool.
    I'm sure you're definitely doing something great with your new idea and I can't wait to hear it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete