Saturday, February 21, 2009

Project No. 2 - Thoughts

As I think about the second project, many thoughts come to mind. I would love to write a piece for concert band or orchestra. I've actually wanted to do that for a long time. But, the time constraint scares me! I'm also from a very chorally-related person, as opposed to coming from an instrumental background, so this makes me want to explore the band or orchestra option more.

I know that the choice for writing for choir isn't possible this term, but I have an idea that I'd like to present, and hopefully this may work. Something else I've always wanted to do, and hopefully will in the future, is to compose a mass or a requiem. I have toyed with the idea of writing a "Crucifixus" for SATB and brass quintet. This wouldn't necessarily have to be for a choir, just one singer per part. This is only one option - I could compose any part of the mass or requiem really, and I will put more thought into this, but the "Crucifixus" stood out to me. Using the brass quintet, it also presents a balance issue. My question, is if this would present ENOUGH of a balance issue for choir and brass quintet. If not, I am equally happy writing for 4 singers and the quintet.

I am curious as to whether or not this is acceptable or not. Dr. Ross - could you make a comment or suggestion as to what you think of the idea? Also from anyone else, what are your thoughts??

Have a wonderful midterm break everyone!
-Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment