Thursday, January 22, 2009

Out of One Zone, Into Another!

I'm surprising myself as I'm working on my first composition for the term - I can write music that's not tonal! Initially, I felt as though I was simply 'writing notes on the page for the sake of doing it'; it felt like there was nothing behind it...no meaning. I needed to base the composition on something, and I suppose I wasn't thinking this way to begin with because I was too concerned with the aspect of atonality. The following link will take you to the painting I have chosen to base my composition on (entitled "Shipwreck").

http://www.tunbridgewells.gov.uk/upload/public/docimages/image/c/e/k/the%20shipwreck.jpg
(This is a painting by William Adolphus Knell, painted in 1856.)

I'm thinking of the piece in 3 sections...
1. The opening is representing the darkness around the edge of the picture, and the dreary-coloured sky.
2. Following this, a more abrupt section, written in 5/8 time representing the rough waters, and the shipwreck itself. I have created a motif for the piano, and possibly the clarinet (I need to fool around with balance a little). I am still trying to create exactly what I want, but I'd like to shape the phrase like the shape of the wave, as you scan the picture from left to right.
3. I think the piece will close with the eerie, dark mood as presented initially. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this actually....should I end, keeping with the abrupt tempo and mood, or close it off, recapping the initial mood??

I heard some helpful suggestions and a lot of positive feedback in class on Monday...
_____________________________________________________________________

* The piece seemed to be well-planned out, and basing my composition on a painting was a good idea. Before I write, I usually have a plan similar to this one - I need to see a long-term goal for me to reach the end.

* Dr. Ross offered an interesting suggestion to keep the piano in the higher register in the opening, to provide a larger contrast for the 5/8 section. I had originally thought about using both, but I think I'm going to stick with this idea...maybe I will foreshadow the wave motif in the lower register, while keeping chordal accompaniment in the higher register. As soon as that 5/8 section hits - it will be much more effective this way I think.

* Another helpful suggestion was to map out the breathing issues in the individual parts right away. As I was writing, I thought "ok, I do need to let them breathe at some point!"

* Also, notating the special effects has to happen. I am somewhat unsure of how to go about this, but once I have a clearer picture, I'll be able to figure out exactly what I want, and how I want it to sound.
_____________________________________________________________________

I have now gone further into my composition, and I'd expect that there will be more to talk about in class this coming Monday. I presented preliminary information, but now I have more material to work with, and I think the class will most likely get a better, clearer picture of what I want.

Any other comments or suggestions are always welcome! :)
See you all tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment